Healthy Sloppy Joes
A healthy version of a family favorite. This recipe is simple to make. You can serve over a russet potato, sweet potato, zucchini noodles or straight out of the bowl.
1 lb ground beef
1/2 cup chopped onion
3/4 cup chopped green pepper
1 can tomato sauce
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 1/2 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
1/2 teaspoon salt
5 medjool dates, pitted
2/3 cup water (reserved)
russet potatoes (one per person)
- Brown the meat in a large pan over medium/high heat and add the onion. Drain any excess grease.
- Reduce the head to medium and add in the green pepper, apple cider vinegar, dijon mustard, garlic, dried parsley, and salt. Mix well.
- Meanwhile, in a small pot, bring 2/3 cup water to a boil and add the dates. Boil 30-60 seconds, just long enough to significantly soften the dates. Remove the dates from the pot (reserving the water for later)
- Place the dates into a food processor or blender, then add tomato sauce, and tomato paste. Blend well then add to the beef mixture.
- Add 2 tablespoons of the reserved date water.
- Wash and dry a russet potato. Poke the potato with a fork or knife a few times and then microwave for 5-7 minutes. Until the potato is soft inside.
- Serve sloppy joe mixture on top of baked potato and garnish with green onion.
Sending strength, hope and love. Did you enjoy this recipe? Would you like to receive support and motivation from me on a daily basis? Ask me about my next challenge/accountability group. Alone we are strong, together we are stronger.